Move your business forward by meeting one-on-one with a small business, credit, legal or record keeping consultant. Register for an advising session with a consultant today.
Oregon Women’s Business Center provides business education, support, and pathways to a community of women entrepreneurs – including business advising. Every month, we bring experts from different key business fields to offer one-on-one advice to small business owners.
Before you register, here are a few things you should keep in-mind:
- You must be a Mercy Corps Northwest loan client or Foundations student having completed up to Week 4. If you do not meet this criteria, we may still be able to work with you—please call (503) 896-5088.
- Credit Consultation is open to the public
- Cost: $25 each session, advanced registration required.
- Please see our refund policy at the bottom of page.
- Click on the options below to learn more about each of our offerings.
- Mercy Corps Northwest Consultation Refund Policy: In order to receive a full refund, you must notify us if you are unable to attend your consultation session one week before your scheduled session.
Frequently Asked Questions:
General Small Business Consultation
Once a month, small business experts and local business professionals come together to provide one on one business advising to our clients. We will match you with the professional that best meets your business needs, based on information you provide upon registration.
- General small business consultation sessions take place on the 3rd Friday of each month
- 50 minute advising session
- Please arrive 15 min early to complete the required intake paperwork for your session
- Note: For more specific legal, credit or record keeping questions please register for a focused consultation (see below)
Whether you need help deciding to form an LLC or a corporation, or you don’t know the difference between an independent contractor and an employee, a one-on-one consultation with a lawyer can help you navigate the legal issues your business might face.
Note: For the purposes of consultations at Mercy Corps NW, our services are limited to business law and do not cover criminal law, domestic relations, patent or family law.
- Determine which type of legal entity is appropriate for your business
- Determine whether you need an operating agreement or a partnership agreement, and discuss any other contracts you may need reviewed
- Discuss the protections that are available for your intellectual property
- Identify employment-related legal issues, including distinguishing between independent contractors and employees
- Note: Each session is 50 minutes. Please bring specific questions or documents to review, and arrive 10 min early for your session to complete the required intake paperwork.
Record Keeping Consultation
Our Record Keeping consultants are licensed CPAs who can show you the importance of organized bookkeeping and help you make better decisions about your budget, financials and overall business operations.
Note: Our consultants are familiar with most major accounting software packages (Quickbooks, Quicken or Excel) and can provide guidance and answers to specific questions about each program. However, this one hour consulting session is NOT meant to be a substitute for the comprehensive support or training that these solutions may require.
- Determine how best to set up your business finances
- Review existing bookkeeping practices, identify gaps and look at potential tax implications
- Note: Each session lasts 50 minutes. Please bring specific questions as well as your current bookkeeping system and arrive 10 min early for your session to complete the required intake paperwork.
Poor or damaged credit affects individuals and families from all walks of life – but it doesn’t have to hold you back. Meet with a qualified financial counselor to help get back on track.
- Determine your current credit history and identify any problems or issues
- Set up an action plan that lists the necessary steps to help you reach your financial goals
- If required (and with your permission), the financial counselor will directly contact a creditor to negotiate a reduction in payment or pay-off
- Additional support is available for up to one year from your initial meeting with the financial counselor.
- Each session lasts 50 minutes. Please bring all relevant financial materials to your meeting, including bills, bank statements, a recent pay stub and the first two pages of your 2014 taxes (for determining ongoing income). Arrive 10 min early for your session to complete the required intake paperwork.
Sign up to become a mentor: We’re always looking for new experts to join our mentioning community. Click the link below to offer your services as an business advisor:Become a Small Business Consultant and Advisor
Mercy Corps Northwest hosts the only Women’s Business Center (WBC) in Oregon. Funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.