Year-round Mercy Corps Northwest offers alternative loans, grants and small business education to business owners across the Pacific Northwest – spanning from Seattle to Portland. As Pride events take place across the globe during the month of June, we are taking a different approach to supporting LGBTQIA2s+ business owners in our community by offering our first-ever storytelling grant.
A storytelling grant creates an opportunity to amplify LGBTQIA2s+ stories told and created by their respective business owners. Each video will serve as a testimonial to the power of the business owner behind it.
The storytelling grant will offer $1,000 grants to 6 different LGBTQIA2s+ small businesses in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Why? Our goal is to put money directly in the hands of the local queer community in order to support their dreams without limitations. After a challenging year for small businesses, we’re using our knowledge and skills to help reinforce the growth and success of queer-owned businesses across the Pacific Northwest.
Our grant process will be open from Friday, June 4 at 9 a.m. to Sunday, June 13 at 12 a.m. (midnight) PST. We will announce the winner of 6 individual grants each sized at $1,000 the week of June 21.
Applicants must be…
- 18 years or older
- An existing microbusiness owner (less than 5 employees including owners/co-owners)
- The owner of an active business physically located and/or operated in Oregon (all counties) -OR- Southwest Washington within Clark, Cowlitz or Skamania County
- Identify as a LGBTQIA2s+ business owner (or 51% LGBTQIA2s+ owned if more than one owner)
What you need to apply
By midnight PST on June 13 each applicant will need to submit a video that is 1 to 2:30 minutes that covers ALL of the following three topics:
- Topic 1: Share your name, business name, and a little about yourself
- Topic 2: Share your business story. Incorporate at least one of the following into your story:
- What does being a LGBTQIA+ business owner mean to you?
- What advice would you share with other LGBTQIA+ business owners?
- What made you passionate about starting your small business?
- What would you do with a $1,000 grant?
- Topic 3: Show your creativity. This includes incorporating a product feature, photos, b-roll, and client/client testimonials*.
*Client consent is required
For questions or accommodation requests please contact [email protected]
The application is now live and can be accessed here via Google Forms. Please be sure to include all required items in your video, and complete the application in its entirety, before hitting submit.